Friday, October 7, 2011

Butterhorns from a master sweet dough recipe


I've entered this post in this week's


Come join the fun!


Yesterday I saw a post on the wonderful blog Life As Mom for a master sweet dough recipe with several awesome looking sweet bread results and I just KNEW I needed to make it! So, I did! I made one batch of dough yesterday and made 2 round braided loaves (placing one in the freezer for later) and 16 chocolate butterhorns (freezing 8 of those). I let one loaf and 8 crescents rise and then baked them. They were beautiful AND delicious! After that success, I knew I needed to try it with one of our favorite combinations... Nutella and toffee chips! So, check out the original bread machine recipe on 

and then see below for my changes and adaptations!

Dough ingredients
To the basic ingredients I added 1 tsp vanilla extract and also used sea salt instead of regular. I also "preheated" the milk for 30 seconds in the microwave to keep it from being too cold for the yeast...

The dough after bread machine dough cycle


Divide the dough into quarters


Roll out to a 12" round (yes, mine's more of a square...)


Cut the "circle" into 8 "triangles"


For my "Nutella" version, I used Nutella spread and Heath Bits O' Brickle toffee


Spread the Nutella onto the wedges and then sprinkle with toffee bits


Roll into crescent shapes and place on parchment paper to rise for 45 minutes.


Here is the "chocolate chip" version


Out of the oven and ready to eat!


Yum! The inside of one of the chocolate chip ones

Now that I've tried the nutella version, I think I'm gonna give them a try with some of my maple almond butter (from Justin's Nut Butters)  and drizzle with maple glaze...The possibilities are really endless!

Oh, and here is a picture of the braided loaf from yesterday!!!

Round braided cinnamon sugar bread

0 comments:

 

Cookbooks 365 Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design